Lambert, Hendricks & Bavan
You brothers and you sisters
You better listen while I tell you
You don't mend your ways
You're going to end your days
Down there where brother Satan lives at
Jon Hendricks, "Meetin' Time"
Lambert, Hendricks & Ross ended when
Annie Ross parted ways in April of '62. Dave Lambert and Jon Hendricks
then recruited Yolande Bavan to replace her. Until recently, I'd
thought the resulting group left no record, but in fact, there are three
- At Basin Street East (RCA, 1963)
Recorded live at Basin Street East, Spetember 6, 7, & 8, 1962.
- "This Could Be the Start of Something"
- "Shiny Stockings" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Slightly Out of Tune (Desafinado)" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Doodlin'" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Cousin Mary" Hendricks vocalese on the head, lots of
- "April in Paris" Original lyrics with Hendricks vocalese
on bits of the original's instrumental accompaniment.
- "Feed Me" Hendricks original.
- "One Note Samba"
- "Melba's Blues" Hendricks vocalese.
- "This Here" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Swingin' Till the Girls Come Home" Hendricks vocalese,
same arrangement as the High Flying with Lambert,
Hendricks & Ross version.
- At Newport '63 (RCA, 1963)
Recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival, July 5, 1963, except
"One O'Clock Jump".
- "One O'Clock Jump" This doesn't credit Hendricks, but surely
is his work. (recorded live at Basin
Street East, NYC, September 8, 1962.)
- "Watermelon Man" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Sack O'Woe" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Deedle-Lee Deedle-Lum"
- "Gimmie That Wine" Hendricks original.
- "Yeh-Yeh!" Hendricks-Grant-Patrick, whatever that means.
(Perhaps the tune was written to his lyrics?)
- "Walkin'" Hendricks vocalese.
- "Cloudburst" Hendricks vocalese.
- Havin' a Ball at the Village Gate (RCA, 1964)
Recorded live at the Village Gate, NYC, December 20 & 21, 1963.
- "Jumpin' At the Woodside" Hendricks vocalese. (Fredie
Freeloader has a slightly more refined version.)
- "Meetin' Time" Hendricks vocalese
- "Days of Wine and Roses"
- "Rusty Dusty Blues" Hendricks lyrics (vocalese?)
- "Three Blind Mice"
- "Nothin' for Nothin'" Hendricks original
- "With 'er 'ead Tucked Underneath'er Arm"
- "It's Sand Man" Hendricks/Lambert vocalese
- "I Wonder What's Become of Sally"
- "Stops and Goes Blues" Hendricks original
Return to the Vocalese Page.